Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Journal: Socializing Care Chapter 1

I think I have already blogged about this at some point as chapters 1, 7, and 10 already have my highlighting marks but I thought either way I would re-read the chapter 1 and 10 since I only have Chapter 7 regarding welfare specifically included in my blogs. I am going to answer the question on the syllabus related to when we were assigned chapter 1 and will do the same for chapter 10

Journal: Share an experience you have had with healthcare related to your health, the
health of someone you know, or the health of a loved one

When I have recieved healthcare I immdiately think of going to the doctor. After reading the chapter I think of my doctors, my mom/dad, and even myself. Even if it amounts to taking a Tylenol or cold medicine myself I was doing "personal care" since it was within my means to do it for myself and didn't feel I needed help from someone else.

I thought the chapter brought up a point that is so true to our culture. It is not seen as culturally valuable to be vulnerable. Vulnerability (especially when needing care) is seen as a sign of weakness as our culture has constructed people to be independent.

Also, I think that Tronto makes a good point when she points out that that care has fallen between a gap of rich versus poor and does not allow the equal care of citizens (specifically the United States). Her examples of a child growing up in an environment with few resources will in turn put that child in the same position for when he/she has children. It is indeed a vicious cycle.

This was an interesting chapter. If we turn the public's care problems into a a collective problem rather than the idea "it's their problem" we would be better off in many aspects: as human beings, as a (healthy) nation, and treating everyone equally rather than only valuing those who are financially capable of the care that is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment