Thursday, September 16, 2010

JUSTICE!

Journal: How does your experience with theories you have encountered in
Women’s Studies inform your ideas about justice? What is justice? What is just?

Justice is a extremely complex term, in my mind. I think the meaning of justice changes on a case by case basis, as justice seems like it is a fluid term meant for a variety of different instances. I think in terms of feminine justice as justice in the workplace, justice in equality (women and race/ethicicty), justice in education, justice in reproduction, justice in general to all. Initially when I think of the word justice I do think of a Judge sentencing someone to "ensure justice has been served" yet many times that is not enough/sufficient.

I understand the idea of restorative justice in a postive light but think I need more background of how exactly this would be approached. I strongly think that the victim/committer or the crime is a strong approach in the right direction. Although painful, (depending on the situation) I think it most certainly provide closure or assist in dealing with whatever crime committed. I think forgiveness, if it is possible in some situations, would be more attainable if the committer of the crime was able to discuss, apologize, etc. to the victim. I am also weary of that system because just as the criticisms, I think in some instances it would be inappropriate to speak with the victim. I should look farther into this idea but do think the overall objective of restorative justice is a positive.

I feel something is just simply when it is fair. Something is just when morality is in tact and all things considered the best decision ensures the equality towards parties/people/entities.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I am also struggling with the term, "justice". I think there needs to be some sort of standard for everyone in order to make it as equal as possible, but I feel like there will always be exceptions to no matter what rule or law is set in place. In the end, I feel as though no matter what "justice" has been set in to play, someone will always be shorted.

    ReplyDelete