Thursday, September 23, 2010

Where do I see myself in 10 years? How will I get there?
Loaded questions. Loaded, loaded questions. I feel anxiety just thinking about it. I have always wanted and been expected to follow mom and go to law school, assume the legal profession, work very hard, and live comfortably. I do want this. I do have days where I wonder if that's really what I want (but overall, yes this is what I truly want!).

I will be 32 in 10 years, it's hard to imagine. I plan to be in my career by then as an attorney in the Mason City area and close to family/friends. I see myself having a successful practice, in part from hard work and in part by benefiting from my mom's reputation. I hope I don't disappoint anyone, including my mom. I think I will be married, to Levi, at that point and possibly have child(ren). I love kids I just can't imagine having my own  child. I do think I will have a child or children by then it's just not fathomable but I am sure it will be a great part of my life whenever it happens. I see myself living in a great home in the country somewhere too.


How will I get there?
After I take a year off next year and work/volunteer, and get great LSAT scores ( fingers crossed! )  I will be applying to law school. This will be a HUGE chunk of me "getting to where I want to be." First, I have to be accepted to a law school. Next, I have to get through law school. After that I have to pass the bar exam. Three short sentences will rule my life for the next 4-5 years, and I'm sure it will be worth it.

I will get to the marriage part when it's ready for me. This is the path in my life that I do not get anxiety about and don't fret if/when I will get there. If it's the right time to get married, it's the right time and I don;t suspect this will be anytime soon (which is ok!).



How will your GWSS background help you?

My GWSS background will help me many ways and I'm sure at times without my realizing it. As I see it, most of the classes I've taken in Women's Studies (now GWSS) is applicable to reality that I'm in contact with everyday in interactions at work and socially. I have a broad range of knowledge gained so far that's beneficial. Also, my BA in GWSS will help me apply to the next level :) .


 What are things you need to learn or do to achieve your goals? (lists and bullets are fine)
* Passion
* Determination
* Support
* Long hours of experience
* Taking opportunities
* Risking
* Experience
* Commitment
* Money
* Caffine (pun intended, but seriously)

2 comments:

  1. I think you have lots of fantastic plans. I am glad you will take a year off to get some experience and study for the LSAT. I think a VISTA position would be useful or maybe some sort of work in a law office. I would also urge you to really search your soul for possibilities related to what you might want for a career, just in case law school is not for you. That happens-so a plan B is great. You will be successful in what ever endeavor you pursue. You have a lot of strong interpersonal skills and you are brilliant! Glad to hear you are waiting on the wedding part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also glad to hear there is no anxiety about the boyfriend/marriage part of your life. That stuff should simply just NOT be stressful. If it is, it ain't worth it.

    It's good you are questing what it is that you *really* want to do. Do you and your mom talk about it a lot? I am really glad to be studying subjects my parents are absolutely clueless about! ;)

    I think GWSS is a great background to have going into law! We need ya'll in there. (or anywhere else, should you change your direction ;)

    Also no doubts from me--you glow with positive energy and you work hard--no question, you'll find success and happiness.

    ReplyDelete