Friday, October 1, 2010

Diversity Dialog

Well Ladies-

I think I may have misunderstood our blogging questions this week. I think I already answered what I thought of the women/experience several weeks ago so I will make up for this blog if it's incomplete!!

The Diversity Dialog
I must say it's like a breath of fresh air to be in there and actually share what I think. When Linda said "Let's be real in here and not hold anything back" she meant it and I loved it because I truly felt comfortable (plus you girls are very easy to be around!)

I loved that we can talk about over compensation because it's probably something many of us in that group experience at one point or another.

I think I may feel differently or more held back if (I'm still being brutally honest here) there was someone of a different skin color or ethnicity in the room in fear of offending someone (which is the LAST thing I would want to do)! It's like a double edged sword but I think the dialog was great- I felt like I got some things out in the open that I probably wouldn't bring up. Loved it!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree that who is in the room affects what we are comfortable saying and talking about. It's interesting that our comfort level is so determined by the outward appearances of other people, but we find it easier to disregard the "hidden" identities of other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so jealous that I could not attend- I think I am going to on my own to be able to discuss/experience what you guys got to! But on a generall note, I agree with you that when a touchy subject comes up in converstation, the people in the room do affect what you may or may not say. Not only do you not want to offend anyone, but you dont want to me judged either- for sure a double edged sword! I hope our time at ICIW helps us with this comfort level issue because I would love to learn more about not only my own outward appearane and identity, but others as well. It will help alot in the "real world" haha.

    ReplyDelete