Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Welfare/ Chapter 7 Socializing Care

I feel that I have always thought of welfare in many different ways and have had different attitudes toward women receiving welfare. Quite honestly (but not proudly) in previous years I had underlying assumptions of the typical stereotype of welfare mothers as lazy women taking advantage of money given toward them. More recently (especially with Women's Studies) I have mixed emotions yet I understand that a large portion of welfare receipiants are struggling and desperately need the assistance.

This chapter was awesome to take step by step the "evolution" of the welfare system. Ironically, the intial goals of the welfare system have now (from what I gather) have created a perpetuating cycle of basically trapping women into poverty (as well as their child(ren)). This was the exact opposite effect of the goals to allow women to rise out of poverty.

Unfortunately, the welfare system has shown to be like a trap for women. Changes could certainly be made to financially help women or even more valuably for our society/economy to value care work (ie: mothers raising children that leads to the creation of human capital!). But who will pay for this?

I assume there will be changes in the future toward welfare but it seems as though the ideas behind welfare have not improved with supporting single/widowed mothers. One thing is for sure: these mothers need the assistance and the tools to raise them out of poverty and all the complications that are effects of poverty.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comment about mixed emotions! But I am learning what goes into Welfare and how it does or does not help people; which assists in looking at the bigger picture of things rather than just seeing one aspect or one person that gives Welfare a "bad rap." I hope, just as you seem to do, that there is more reform so women and children can escape poverty, welfare, and/or any other struggles alike.

    ReplyDelete